Friday, August 28, 2009

Baked Potato Bar

So "baked potato bar" night is so easy.
So easy.
It's perfect for a night of the week where you really don't feel like cooking, because you can do your potatoes in your crock pot all day!
I start with my potatoes the night before, getting them all set up and ready to go for the morning! This is a 10lb bag of jumbo russet potatoes from WalMart. I think this whole bag was like 5 bucks.
I was each potato and lay it on a paper towel. Do y'all see my peaches getting ripe back there? Ha!

I wrap each potato in foil. For these big potatoes I just took about 6 inches of foil out for each one.


Then I poke holes in the potatoes so they can release steam while cooking. I prefer not to have exploded potatoes all inside my crock pot.



I use these great crock pot or slow cooker liners. They prevent a ton of clean up and mess in my crockpot.




This is my mom's crock pot, actually. It's old as Methusla, I'm telling you. But mine is in storage so we are using hers! And it's a trooper - it works great after twenty-something years! Anyone see Evan in the background? He's doing his homework! Ha!





I leave the potatoes in the crock pot on the counter overnight. The last thing I do before I leave in the morning is turn the crock pot on low. This means my potatoes will be cooking for about 9 hours, since I don't get home until almost 6.






Choose whatever toppings you like. My family likes sour cream, cheese, chives, salt and pepper, chili....sometimes ranch dressing or thousand island.







The chili really makes you fill up, if you ever had an issue with just eating a baked potato. Just put some chili on there and you have a hearty meal!


What do you like on your baked potatoes?

















5 comments:

  1. I use my crock pot all the time, but I have never done baked potatoes in it! How cool! They are a huge hit at our house! Yum :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea and would make for such an easy, fun dinner. I am going to give that a try. Did you make the chili or buy it pre-made? If you bought it, what kind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potatos! My favorite is ranch, cheese and brocoli (I think that is spelled wrong...)!

    p.s. I made the turkey meatballs the other day except I used spicy mustard and some garlic -- YUMMM! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another reason I need a crock pot - I would have never thought!

    ReplyDelete