Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Breakfast Eggs

This recipe came from an old coworker of mine many years ago. I've changed it and added variations over the years, but it's her basic recipe.
The name of this dish, "Breakfast Eggs" has always sounded so weird to me, but this is what I was told it's called and I've never questioned it.
Also, this is a dish that might not sound good by reading it but I promise you, it's super good! I like to make it on lazy Sundays for brunch, or even for dinner on a weeknight when I'm craving some breakfast foods!
You Will Need
6 pieces of white bread (or your bread of choice)
6 large eggs
shredded cheese (your preferred variety)
breakfast meat of choice
6 pats* of butter
You will notice that there is sausage in this picture. I overcooked the sausage and didn't use it in the recipe.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Place your pieces of bread flat in a 9x13 casserole dish. You might have to squeeze them in, but they'll fit.


Scramble your eggs. Make sure they are well mixed.



Pour the eggs over the white bread evenly.
*I forgot to take a picture of this, but add the butter now!*



Add the cheese. You will notice I didn't state a measurement for the cheese. That is because I just shake the bag and when it looks good to me, I stop. They are really very few occasions in life where you can add too much cheese.

Stick it in the oven for approximately 25 - 30 minutes**.



It should look similar to this. The bread should be slightly crisp on the edges and you will need to make sure the egg is fully cooked and the cheese is properly melted throughout.

Since I ruined the sausage, I made the dish sans meat and had some kielbasa on the side.



















*The word "pats" always seems funny to me in relation to cooking, but it's literally just a little slice of butter.

**Oven cooking times will vary.








No comments:

Post a Comment