Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Country Store Apple Cider

I was born in Maryland; on the Patuxent River Naval Base to be exact. My daddy was in the Marines and we were stationed there until I was 3 years old.
There was a Christmas Country store in Maryland that my mom and grandma would always go to, and they served light refreshments including apple cider there.

I've had a lot of apple cider over the year and nothing compares to this recipe. It's the actual recipe the store used and a Thanksgiving and Christmas tradition in my family. You can fix it on the stove or in a crock pot, but we've always made it in the crock pot because it's just easy. You can keep it in there during parties and the guests can just serve themselves out of it!
I asked my mom if I could please share her recipe and she consented, but she did mention that she had to pay the store to get the recipe herself! When I asked how much, concerned that I was about to give away some deep, expensive secret she replied very nonchalantly, "Oh, $.25 or $.50..."

We'll just go ahead and let y'all have it for free! Ha!

It's great to be served at a holiday party or just on a regular day to warm you up inside.

You Will Need
One gallon of apple juice
1/2 of a lime
1/2 of a lemon
12 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks

Put the crockpot on low, as this can stay in all day long and you do not want it to boil or get too hot.


Dump in the apple juice and then do the following:
1. Slice the lemon and limes and insert the cloves into them like you see in the picture.
2. Insert a cinnamon stick into one and let the other just float.
3. Place the slices in the juice.

Wait for it to heat and then....enjoy!


Such a simply good drink! One variation you could take is to put red hots at the bottom of the crockpot. This will give it an extra spice! I like it both ways!





No comments:

Post a Comment