Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pecan Pie

Pie is a Thanksgiving staple. You probably won't find any family feast that doesn't serve at least one type of pie, and each family has their specialty.


In my family, traditionally we've served both pumpkin and chocolate pie. My grandma likes mincemeat pie, but she's the only one so it rarely gets made.

My favorite is pecan pie and up until this year, I've never made one. I was always intimidated by pecan pie. It scared me to attempt to make one because I thought it was some complicated recipe that only master chefs could take on.

Boy, was I wrong! Pecan pie is super easy to make. And fast! And you only need 7 ingredients total! That includes your pie crust!


You Will Need
Oven preheated to 350 degrees
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tbsp vanilla
1 pie crust
You must prebake the pie crust for about 10 minutes before you dump the ingredients in it and let the pie bake. If not, you will have an undercooked crust and you really don't want that! Now, I use a premade crust from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. If you know how to make crust from scratch then more power to you, but pie crust and I have a long unhappy history together! Make sure you poke holes in the bottom with a fork so it doesn't try and bubble up in the pie dish.

Combine all the ingredients except the pecans into a mixing bowl and stir.

You will probably need to work this mixture for about 3 minutes, but whatever you do make sure the sugar is fully dissolved.


Add the pecans and make sure they are thoroughly coated.


Pour the mixture into the pie crust and place it in the oven to bake for about 45 minutes.*


When you pull it out of the oven, it should be golden brown on top. The filling might be slightly soft still, but it will harden as it sets.


Top with whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!

*Oven cooking times vary. Please judge your oven accordingly.














No comments:

Post a Comment